Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Retaining Moisture

hello lovelies!

Whether relaxed, natural or anything between, the number one priority in your hair care regimen is to add and retain moisture.

MOISTURE
MOISTURE
MOISTURE

Yeah, its so important that I will repeat myself. Your hair NEEDS MOISTURE. Why?

  1. Well, your hair will look nice, because moisture brings out your natural shine, and for curly tops - moisture defines curls.
  2. It will prevent breakage. Hair snaps easily when dry. Breakage is your mortal enemy, and moisture is your best friend.
  3. Moisturizing products will nourish your scalp. A healthy scalp is a happy scalp. And a happy scalp grows more hair.
People with type 4 hair are the most vulnerable to dryness and breakage. This is because its very thin and wiry, and has less cuticle layers to protect it. For all of you with type 4 hair - treat it like silk. Your hair is a precious fabric, and if you want it to last you have to care for it properly!

My links (dispersed below) will direct you to some of the different products I've used. Click away!

I've tried many different moisturizers during my transition. Some of them include:
  • "Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural for Women of Color Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer" (description here)
  • "BB Hair Moisturizer Lotion Maximum Strength" (description here)
  • When I was transitioning I used "BB Foam Wrapping Lotion" (description here)
I intermittently researched natural products during my transition period, and the first one I bought was Raw Shea Butter. Shea Butter is actually the bomb lol. Now, anytime a buy a new product, I usually check if Shea Butter is one of the ingredients. I use it to seal in moisture after I condition my hair, and have also found it to be a great styling product. I will create a separate blog post about the wonders of Shea Butter so you can understand why I like it so much. I would definitely suggest it as a staple for any natural hair regimen. I bought my shea butter in bulk (5 lb.) in the Winter of 2009, and I STILL have some left. I got it cheap from a great website called Shea N More. They offer all kinds of natural products at affordable prices. 

In addition to Shea Butter, I discovered that  Natural Oils, and Cholesterol  are very helpful it adding moisture to my hair. 

Products that will lead to moist hair:
  1. A good co-wash* conditioner. It doesn't have to be pricy. VO5 or Suave Hair Conditioners would do the trick.
  2. A hair strengthening leave-in conditioner. Right now I am using Infusium 23 diluted with water. I put the Infusium 23 solution in a spray bottle and use it to dampen my hair on a regular basis.
  3. A nourishing carrier oil. Carrier Oils seal in moisture and protect the hair follicle & scalp. Right now I am using a mixture of olive oil, with a little bit of Castor Oil (article on carrier oils to come later)
  4. A good Deep Conditioner. I like hair cholesterol best as a deep conditioner, because it always makes my hair soft & bouncy. My 2 favorites are Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment and Queen Helene Hair Conditioning Cream
  5. A great daily moisturizing cream. BB Hair Moisturizer Lotion Maximum Strength works pretty well, but I just started using Shea Butter Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk
To summarize, find some way to moisturize your hair every day. It has really helped me to retain the growth I've had so far, and is certain to help me in the future. If you have any moisturizing methods/routines you'd like to share please do!

Be Big & Beautiful, 

xoxo

Indie Arie - one of the Neo-Soul Moguls. Love her!


2 comments:

  1. hey mel its chi chi! LUV THIS BLOG. gurl, ur hair is gona be so long by next spring! i got one tip from curlynikki to retain moisture--sleep with shower cap at night. this is pretty good for the winter, won't recommend it for summer days!
    ttyl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ChiChi ooh I shower cap?! I will definitely try that out in the coming winter months! :)

    ReplyDelete