Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

3 Possible Hair Changes on a Meatless Diet & How to Manage them.

Hey Lovelies:

I transitioned out of consuming meat starting last summer, and officially began my vegan date late last year (2013). Since then I have undergone a physical transformation. What's more, my relationship to the food I eat has dramatically shifted (I'll talk about this in another post).

I want to talk more about the physical changes, specifically as they relate to hair. Here are some of the changes I've noticed. I'm not going to label them as good or bad, rather, I see them as a part of the learning process of my hair journey. I will also say that I don't think these changes are restricted to African American/Black Natural Hair; the changes are specifically correlated to what I have been putting in my body--You are what you eat!


  1. My hair is thinner. Explanation: The types and ratios of proteins in plants is quite different from the types and rations of proteins in animals (for more information see here). It is noted that some vegetarians and vegans struggle to maintain the same amount of the protein lysine as those who eat meat. Hair is composed of protein, so a lack of protein can result in thinner hair. Solution: Balancing the amount of protein in my diet. Foods like Tempeh, Tofu, and Lentils provide Lysine. As I balance my diet hair will thicken. (For information on protein in the Vegan/Vegetarian Diet, see here.)
  2. My growth rate seems to have slowed. Explanation: This one is iffy, because, as noted in my previous post, some of my habits could have contributed to the lack of length retention. However, the thinner haid and this change are related, hair needs protein to grow. 
  3. My hair is softer. Explanation: this one has a multifaceted explanation as well. It could be that I am trying a new hair growth regimen. However, it could also be that I'm drinking more water, taking vitamins, and moisturizing from the inside out--basically, I consume a lot more olive oil, avocados, and other healthy fats on a regular basis. 
The most important thing I've realized as my hair is changing is that research and effort are essential to creating results in my hair health. 

  1. Explore healthy proteins. Eat different proteins; beans, nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and leafy greens, and much more, to see which ones you enjoy. These foods are open to anyone partaking in any diet, with or without meat. Incorporating healthy sources of protein in every meal will ensure that you have your daily intake.
  2. Drink lots of water. Humans are composed mostly of water. To function, we need to literally replenish ourselves daily. The number of ounces you should drink per day is two-thirds of you body weight plus your activity level. (for more information see here)
  3. Take your vitamins! I don't mean hair vitamins like protein or anything like that, I mean your daily intake. Vitamins assist in catalyzing all of the processes in your body, including hair growth. 
Remember, everything is correlated; hair health, skin health, any body part actually, can be used as a marker to measure your general physical health.

Isn't her twist out fly?!

Happy Hair Journey!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment