Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Product Review: Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-In Conditioner

hello lovelies!

I thought it would be nice to do product reviews every now and then. There is always some new product out there professing to make our hair long and luxurious, and as a person many would call a "product junkie" I often give in to their claims about how awesome their product it. But, before I hit up the beauty store I want to know how a product will respond to my hair, so I usually do my research before investing in a new hair product. I say "usually" because I spontaneously bought the particular product I'm about to review. I guess bought it without thinking because I trust the product line its from. A piece of advice for you - research the ingredients and reviews on a product before you buy a product!!!

I say this because I didn't love the product I'm reviewing today: "Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-In Conditioner"
17.25oz conditioner, about  8 inches tall
When I used relaxer, the Silk Elements product line was my staple. The relaxer itself treated my hair well, the shampoo didn't damage my hair cuticle and the cholesterol treatment was (and still is) fantastic. So, when I went to Sally's Hair & Beauty Supply (http://www.sallybeauty.com/) about a week ago and saw that they opened a line of products for people with natural curls I got super excited. They were on sale so I picked up 2 bottles and the accompanying deep conditioner. I thought it was going to be wonderful. A couple days later, when it was time to do my shampoo and deep condition, I added this leave-in conditioning creme to my routine. It's creamy, but a but slick to the touch, and smells kind of like dish soap. It was different than other products I use that are more thick and heavy. I used about 3 pumps and ran it through my hair with my fingers, combed, and did a two-strand twist set. The next day when I untwisted my hair, I wasn't completely pleased with my results. My curls held up ok, but the hair itself was not completely moisturized.  The directions say, "Apply to clean wet hair from roots to ends for an even application. Do not rinse out. Hair can be air dry or use a blow dryer with diffuser.To me, it seemed as if it this conditioning creme could be a stand alone product, but that wasn't the case. The fact that I needed to add oil moisturizer to my hair after I untwisted indicated to me that I shouldn't have used this product on its own. All in all, I will give "Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-In Conditioner" a 8 out of 10.

Pros about the Conditioning Creme:
  • It has a pleasant scent
  • It is not greasy 
  • It has natural oils including Jojoba seed oil, Safflower seed oil and Evening Primrose Oil
  • It contains amino acids including wheat amino acids and silk amino acids (amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and proteins are very good for strengthening hair
  • It is a very good detangling product
Cons:
  • It is almost too light. I like products that seal the hair cuticle well and I'm not sure that this does. More "liquidy" products like this one are absorbed by the hairs, but don't seal out dryness
  • It detangled my hair, but didn't provide long term moisture, which is very important to me. 
Although I have listed more pros than cons, I still believe this product is a 8/10 because it isn't good at retaining the hair's moisture. I will say that it is a very good base product, and what I mean by that is that its a good thing to apply as a detangler while your hair is still wet and it doesn't clash with the styling cremes I use. Overall,  I would suggest trying it because it's always good to have a leave-in conditioner, especially if you can't deep condition your hair as often as you'd like to. I'll definitely use mine as a detangler (after all, I have two bottle get through lol)

I hope this helps!

Be Big & Beautiful

xoxo

Beyonce: radiant and stunning! (and pregnant - yay!)


No comments:

Post a Comment