Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

HAIRvolution: My Transition Period

Hello lovelies!


This has been one of my favorite blog posts to make so far. I really hadn't realized how much my hair had changed until I collected all the pictures I had taken of myself!

Changes in my hair: October 2009 - November 2010

October 22, 2009. Relaxed Hair - Chin Length

So, like I mentioned in a previous post, my hair had been chin length for a couple years and I really wanted some growth. 
















November 13, 2009. Updo - New Growth!

To retain growth, I stretched my hair, which means I waited longer than 8 weeks to relax my hair. I prevented the breakage that comes with waiting too long for another relaxer by deep conditioning














July 17, 2010. This was my third and successful transition.
I was a hot mess lol
So, until June '10 I had been relaxing, here you can't see much hair growth because I had just started my 3rd transition attempt

















October 8, 2010. New Growth!!! I was so excited

Close up on my new growth a couple months later. I believe I was still flat ironing to blend the two textures together, but that was making my hair dry, as you can see in this close up








October 11, 2010. Another Updo!
They really helped during my transition



One of the good things I did during my transition was up-dos. My hair was kept in one place, so I touched it less and the cold, dry, air didn't affect it as much














October 31, 2010. I was so proud of the new growth!



By October 2010, I had gotten the hang of taking hair of my roots - check out those waves haha!











October 31. It was really dry here


The center/back of my head was so much more course than the rest of my head, I loved combing my hair (not good), so I had some breakage in the back.











November 1, 2010. Twist Out on Transitioning hair

My first recorded shea butter twist out!!! look how shiny it is! (we'll talk about the power of shea butter at a later)











November 2, 2010. Flat Twists on Transitioning Hair.
They weren't fresh (at all) but they got the job done!


And this is my flat twist set. Trust me, I've gotten better at flat twisting since then!
Back view of my flat twists




















November 6, 2010. Another New Growth Check.
I was getting impatient and wanted it to grow


November 6, 2010. Perm Rod Set!
One of my Favorite Protective Styles

I must say that Perm Rods were the best for me during my transition. I loved it. It held curls for my relaxed ends while protecting my natural roots










November 20, 2010. Flat Ironed Hair (I shouldn't have
used heat). Last pic I took before my Big Chop!!!


Last recorded flat iron! And look - my hair finally grew past chin length :)



















All in all my transitioning phase was long and took A LOT of patience. I had to learn to be gentle with my hair instead of treating it like my old Barbie dolls' hair. You know, all that vigorous combing and brushing those of you who had Barbies used to enjoy doing. Nuh-Uh! Any of you in transition must treat your hair like its silk or cashmere, be DELICATE. Your roots will love you for it, and you'll have the cutest fro when you do your Big Chop. My next post will have pics of my Big Chop and a little reflection on the day I went natural.

Be Blessed, Big & Beautiful!

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment