Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

High Cholesterol: Key to A Healthy Hair Diagnosis

hello lovelies!

In an earlier post I mentioned that I really love the effect of cholesterol treatments on my hair. Its my favorite way to condition my hair. Every so often I experiment with homemade conditioners - mostly mayonnaise mixed with olive oil - but I like to buy my cholesterol because it doesn't need to be refrigerated. One of the best things about cholesterol, other than its conditioning and moisturizing effect is the fact that its very affordable and long lasting. The average jar of cholesterol that I buy is about $2.99 and last me for at least 2 months. Great value!

So, what is cholesterol anyway?
Well, it is a soft and waxy substance found in the lipids (fats) in the bloodstream and the body's cells. (source) Cholesterol is important to cell membrane creation and maintenance, among its other functions. Most of the time we hear about the dangers of high cholesterol, but a healthy level of cholesterol is necessary for many of the body's functions (see here for more info on cholesterol in the body).

Why is it that hair responds so well to cholesterol? 
Let's break it down. Time for a mini biology lesson!

A hair is composed of: 80% protein, 10-15% water, and 5-10% pigments, lipids (also called fats), and minerals. (source) The cells on the hair follicle are surrounded by a lipid layer and this lipid layer is bonded to the proteins that hair is mostly made of. Basically, there are many fatty acids in the cuticle of the hair (the cuticle is the outmost layer of each hair strand). The fats in hair are responsible for how well the hair locks in moisture and the overall stiffness of the hair. So, if fats are a part of the structure of the hair, and the cholesterol contained in fats is responsible for maintaining the cell membrane, then applying cholesterol to hair is good for the fats that make up the hair cuticle (source). When cholesterol is added, hair gets hydrated and becomes much more supple, or flexible.

****Most important thing to remember: Hair + Cholesterol = Soft & Supple Locks****

Also, cholesterol taken internally won't help hair health. We all should be having low cholesterol diets to limit the risk of coronary diseases. In other words, eat your cheerios!!!
Reduces cholesterol, so eat up!
Ok, enough science talk. I wanted to introduce you to some of the cholesterol treatments I have tried over the years. I will be ranking my top 4 treatments from favorite to most favorite:

4. Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Cholesterol with Shea Butter & Aloe. This stuff is great! The title was enough to convince me to try this product. Tea Tree Oil is ideal for anyone with scalp issues, especially dandruff, and its a natural scalp cleanser. I have a healthy scalp, so I find tea tree oil to be a bit drying, which is why I didn't rank this product higher. The Shea butter is moisturizing and the Aloe is soothing. The one thing I don't like about this cholesterol is it's strong medicinal scent. Grade: B


3. Le Kair Professional Strength Cholesterol This is a nice standard cholesterol. It smells nice and it nice to deep condition with. After shampooing, saturate your hair with this, cover your hair with a plastic cap, heating cap, or hot towel, and/or sit underneath an overhead dryer for about 15 minutes and your hair will love you for it! Grade: B+


2. Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream I LOVE this cholesterol. its cheap, moisturizing, and is just great over all. As a matter of fact, I like the Queen Helene product line in general I like their cocoa butter too! You can do the same things with Queen Helene's as you can with Le Kair. I almost always have a jar of Queen Helene's in the bathroom. Grade: A


1. Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment. YES, yes and yes. This is my favorite cholesterol to date. It smells awesome, and its soooo smooth and soft on to the touch. You can feel the difference right away! It's usually a dollar or ten this is your fix. Also, this conditioner is GREAT for detangling in the shower. Grade A+ 


If you don't know, now you know - the value of cholesterol. It's my hair crack lol! And I already mentioned that I'm a product junkie so you can imagine how much I use haha

I hope you found this to be helpful!

Be Big & Beautiful

xoxo

Lauryn Hill - She is the TRUTH.


No comments:

Post a Comment