Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

My Current Natural Hair Regimen

hello there wonderful people,

One of the things that will lead to the growth of Big & Beautiful Hair is developing a hair regimen that you believe you will be able to stick to. I now have over 5 inches of hair, and with hair as thick as mine now is, I've found it a bit more difficult to take care of than when I had a TWA. So, I have decided to outline my weekly hair care plan. This is especially important to me now that I am starting a new semester. I need to know what I'm doing with my hair on a regular basis because with all my commitments during the year, my schedule gets crammed.

Outlining my regimen is a new thing for me, because I usually just go with the flow when it comes to my hair, but my hair growth has been so encouraging that I want to really follow through on a good plan. So if this is new for you, don't worry because its new for me too - we're on this hair journey together :)

This is 90% likely to be my weekly schedule. The 10% of doubt is because I haven't started classes yet so I don't know which days of the week are going to be my busy days.

SUNDAY:

So, Sunday is gonna be my spa day. That is, I will be shampooing and deep conditioning each Sunday night so that I can be fresh for class on Monday morning. I may change my shampoos to every other Sunday in the winter time. Why? Because the air is driest in the winter, and I don't want to over dry my hair by shampooing too often. Conditioners, which I will be using very frequently, have cleaning agents that can take care of the build up that develops in my hair over 2 weeks. However, I don't know what winter has in store for me so I'll decide how often I want to shampoo then.

Sunday night plan:

  1. Pre-Poo! (Before Shampooing) Moisturize my scalp with a blend of olive oil & castor oil,  then go through my hair ends with a dime size amount of Shea butter.
  2. Poo: Shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo (we'll talk about sulfates later)
  3. Deep Conditioning: Using hair cholesterol, or a really good deep conditioner. Allow to soak in hair for about an hour. If you have the time, you can allow your deep condition to stay over night.
  4. Leave-In Conditioner: I use a leave in conditioner to comb out my hair while wet. I only comb my hair once a week, using a wide-tooth shower comb. For the rest of the week I finger comb
  5. Detangling and Twisting: after I detangle my hair, I do large to medium sized two strand twists. It should take about a half to twist my hair and in the end I should have about 15 twists. The twist out is my favorite style because it's easy and seals in moisture. They styling product I use to make my twist springy and shiny is a Shea butter based styling creme (I'll list the specific products I use in another post). I add a dab of styling creme to each twist I make to get the best results.
  6. Sleep with a satin bonnet and a satin pillow case. Both satin bonnets and/or satin pillowcases can be bought at an affordable price at your local beauty store, or online. Cotton absorbs moisture, which is why its important to use a satin bonnet, scarf, or doo-rag to protect your hair.
MONDAY:
  1. Untwist and style! (Then go to class)
  2. At night - massage an olive oil/castor oil into into my scalp
  3. Add a little styling creme to maintain twists
  4. Spray to dampen with water
  5. Re-twist 
TUESDAY

Same as Monday

WEDNESDAY

Co-Wash Day!
  1. By Wednesday I like to give my pores some air buy rinsing out all the product I've used. Using a cheap, but moisturizing conditioner, wet hair while showering, comb through conditioner, leave in for 2-5 minutes, and rinse.
  2. Massage in my Olive/Castor Oil Mix
  3. Style (another twist out set with conditioning creme)
THURSDAY

Back to Monday's schedule

FRIDAY

Depending on the dryness, I will do another co-wash. If not, I'll do my Monday schedule again. 

SATURDAY

Another Olive Oil/Castor Oil Massage Day! 

I already have all the products I want to use lined up, and I will be doing a post with details on all the products I use!

Be Big & Beautiful!

xoxo
Alicia Keys back in the day! <3 Her

No comments:

Post a Comment