Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Defining Your Natural Curls

hello lovelies!

Up until very recently, I was frustrated, because although my hair is naturally curly, oftentimes my curls are disguised by all my frizz. I watched Nikkimae2003's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nikkimae2003 and discovered that cold water really helps to define curls! Here's how it works:

If you're doing a co-wash (thats cleansing/conditioning hair without shampoo)

  1. Wet/rinse the hair with warm to very warm water. This helps to open the pores in your scalp. Some of you may have heard that using steam (which comes from warm water) is very good for cleansing the pores in your face, well, your scalp works the same way. Open pores are ready to absorb the conditioner that you'll be putting into your hair.
  2. Apply some conditioner and let it soak in for as long as you want. I usually let the conditioner sit for about 5-10 minutes. You can also detangle during this time. I personally detangle after I condition, that way I'll have enough time to detangle my hair section by section.
  3. Rinse out your conditioner with cold water. Cold water seals in the moisture provided by the conditioner, which really helps to define curls. I just started cold water rinses and I love the effect on my hair. Each curl is springy and shiny, and the frizz is basically gone!
If you're shampooing your hair
  • Still use warm water, because the shampoo will be able to do its job even better when your pores are open. Warm water, especially in combination with shampoo, is excellent at removing grease and other residue. After shampooing, follow the steps outlined above.
My hair after a cold water rinse!


I just wanted to add that Nikkimae2003's youtube channel is great. She's pleasant, encouraging, and her tutorials are super helpful.

Be Big & Beautiful!

xoxo
Tia & Tamera Mowry! They've been my role models since childhood :)

No comments:

Post a Comment